The Effete Bomb

Thursday, February 28, 2008

To be young again...

Quick reviews of the stuff i read:

Mark Millar and John Romita JR deliver the first issue of their new series Kick-Ass. Briefly, this is about a regular kid in the real world who decides he wants to be a super-hero. This book is amazing. The story is great and the main character is one I can relate to in exacting terms. JR Jr is the best artist in all comics when it comes to storytelling and his pencils in this book are perfect for bringing an insane kineticism, without which this story would fall. It gave me the same rush as reading Rick Spears and Rob G's Teenagers form Mars and Dave Gibbons' The Originals. The difference is this is just better.

I was on the razor's edge of being this stupid in high school. Like the protagonist, I think a lot of my child hood was spent "feeling numb and playing video games" (or finding other suitable distractions). He is an only child of a widowed father where as I was an only child of divorced parents. I was constantly alone as they had to work constantly and I was left with more than enough time to develop "the perfect combination of loneliness and despair" that drives this story. I can't wait for more.

Elephantmen: War Toys 2 came out and that was really good. I read once (maybe in Understanding Comics?) that European comics focused on world building significantly more than American or Japanese counterparts. I feel that sense of world building in a big way with all of the Elephantmen books, and this miniseries is a great example of that. We have seen this future world Richard Starkings' design from so many points of view that it really comes alive. I love all of the work done in these books.

The new issue of Morrison's Batman continued what is a solid run for the character. This issue would be great if realized by a better artist. Tony Daniels' style is a little to traditional to allow this arc (which features hallucinations as a heavy part of the narrative) really take off. Yay for more Bat-Mite!

Young Avengers Presents 2 (featuring Hulkling) was probably just OK. I guess I really wanted this series of one shots to somehow advance a plot or something. Instead we get introspective character moments that could be accomplished in the space of a few pages, or even panels. It also frustrates me that Jim Cheung seems to be doing nothing but covers when he is a really great artist.

To briefly self promote, I am going to be doing a show with my wife as DJ SNESDS next Wednesday. We will be one of the openers for Harry & the Potters.



The house party is at 1566 Summit View Street, Anchorage, AK 99504 and anyone who wants to come is welcome. Their is a 5$ suggested donation that will go to Harry & the Potters who are visiting from Boston. Plane tickets aren't cheap!


DJ SNESDS @ 630
TongueBrainKeeThigh @ 7
Harry & The Potters @ 8
iLeah after that
Liz Burrito after that

Times are approximate guesses but we are definately playing first so if you wanna catch it be early. That Friday, The Wolfblitzer will be playing at the Kodiak bar and grill (21+).

2 Comments:

  • At February 29, 2008 at 4:55 AM , Blogger The Working Dead said...

    Kick-Ass did, indeed, kick ass. It had a much more humanistic tone than I expected from Millar, so that was nice.

    This issue of Batman(and this story arc in general) is really starting to win me over. I've been a little unimpressed with Morrisson's run so far, and I think that's because he's being hamstrung a bit by DC. Remember how massively he shook things up with X-Men right off the bat? I think I was expecting him to do the same with Batman. But man, this arc is getting to me.

     
  • At August 12, 2008 at 8:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i finally picked up 1-3 of kick ass and you are right, it is great.

    -stealth

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home